Friday 25 January 2013

No Bake Chocolate Ripple Cake

Australia Day is approaching, and it's at this time of year, we love to proudly display anything that's remotely Australian. Now... I'm down with the snags on a barbie(1), with a bit of dead horse(2), I'm loving the lamington(3) and the vegemite sandwich (4). But, I've never tried the one dish, that I think only Aussies know about. I've trolled the web looking for similar ideas from other countries, and the closest I've come across, isn't really the same thing. So, I'm putting a big stamp of Aussie Aussie Aussie (Oi Oi Oi) on this one, and calling it ours.
"Tell me what it is!" I hear you say in anticipation.

It's the No Bake Chocolate Ripple Cake. You can actually just get the recipe off the back of the packet in Australia, but I thought I would share it with the world.





Ingredients

1 packet of Arnott's Chocolate Ripple Biscuits. The "cookies" you could use to replace them would need to be quite dry and crunchy. They have a crumbly texture. Oreo's wouldn't work well for example, because they need to act like a sponge to absorb the cream.
250mL of thickened cream
2 Tbls icing (confectioners) sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla bean extract (or vanilla essence)









This what the biscuit looks like.





Method

1) Beat the cream until it forms stiff peaks.











2) Spread a bit of cream onto a platter that you want to serve the cake on. Spread some cream onto the back side of a biscuit. Sandwich the top side of another biscuit onto the cream and keep going to form a log of cream filled biscuits.












3) Cover the entire thing with more cream. Loosely cover the log with al foil (aluminium foil), and place log in fridge for at least 6 hours.













4) Slice on an angle when you're ready to serve so you get a pretty(ish) stripe.



5) You can fancy it up and dust over coco powder, sprinkle on raspberries or just eat the hell out of it.

Let me know if you can think of a brand and type of biscuit from the country that you're from that would work, and I'll add it to the blog.




If you try it, let me know what you think!








(1) Sausages on a BBQ
(2) Victorian for tomato sauce (ketchup) 
(3) Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment