I've decided to call my version Bloody Snickers Pop Corn. My cousin from New Zealand who got me onto True Blood, just happened to be over in Australia visiting when Season Four Episode ONE! came out. We got together and made a batch of this, and felt ill after eating a little too much.
Bloody Snickers Pop Corn
2 bags of microwave butter flavoured pop corn
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 cup glucose
1 tsp bicarb soda
24 snack sized Snickers (say that 10 times fast) bars, sliced
1) Pop the corn in the microwave as per the instructions on the pack and pour into a roasting dish lined with baking paper. Pick out ALL the un-popped kernels. I made this mistake, it could result in broken teeth.
2) In a heavy bottomed pot, bring the sugar, butter and glucose to a boil and simmer for 5 mins. Take off the heat and add the bicarb soda
3) Spoon the sugar mixture over the pop corn and stir to coat.
4) Bake in the oven for 1 hour, mixing well every 15minutes
5) Add snickers, stir and put back in the oven for three minutes
6) Let cool (or not) and eat.
This recipe makes an awful lot. It can be stored, once completely cooled, in an air tight container for three days.
To be honest, it was all the Snickers goodness that made us feel ill. Omit the Snickers, and you have awesome crunchy caramel pop corn. Next time I think I'm going to add chopped salted peanuts instead and drizzle over just a little melted chocolate.