Wednesday 13 June 2012

Bloody Snickers Pop Corn

If you know me well, you'll know I'm a little addicted to Pinterest. For those of you who haven't gotten into it, Pinterest is an online space that is one giant pin board. When you see something you like on the Internet, you "Pin It" to a virtual board that you have created. Others can see your boards, and you can see other's boards. I have made a few boards like Sweets For My Sweets Arts And Crafts  and Just Special . If you use the internet for these sorts of things, I suggest you sign up to Pinterest. I gather so many ideas for recipes, craft and household projects from there, and this post was orrigionally found here but like most of the things I make, I have adapted it to suit me.


I've decided to call my version Bloody Snickers Pop Corn. My cousin from New Zealand who got me onto True Blood, just happened to be over in Australia visiting when Season Four Episode ONE! came out. We got together and made a batch of this, and felt ill after eating a little too much.




Bloody Snickers Pop Corn 

Ingredients 

2 bags of microwave butter flavoured pop corn 
1 1/2 cups brown sugar 
1 cup butter 
1/2 cup glucose 
1 tsp bicarb soda 
24 snack sized Snickers (say that 10 times fast) bars, sliced 

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 60 degrees Celsius 

1) Pop the corn in the microwave as per the instructions on the pack and pour into a roasting dish lined with baking paper. Pick out ALL the un-popped kernels. I made this mistake, it could result in broken teeth. 
2) In a heavy bottomed pot, bring the sugar, butter and glucose to a boil and simmer for 5 mins. Take off the heat and add the bicarb soda 
3) Spoon the sugar mixture over the pop corn and stir to coat. 
4) Bake in the oven for 1 hour, mixing well every 15minutes 
5) Add snickers, stir and put back in the oven for three minutes 
6) Let cool (or not) and eat. 

This recipe makes an awful lot. It can be stored, once completely cooled, in an air tight container for three days. 

To be honest, it was all the Snickers goodness that made us feel ill. Omit the Snickers, and you have awesome crunchy caramel pop corn. Next time I think I'm going to add chopped salted peanuts instead and drizzle over just a little melted chocolate. 

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to try it.. gutted I missed out on a cousin party..

    ReplyDelete