Monday 4 June 2012

No-Sew-Double Sided-Baby-Floor-Mat-Slash-Blanket

One of the earliest encounters with my most horrid vice was being so jealous of Mum's mad skillz at colouring in. She was just so neat. No white bits. No out of lines. Perfect outlining. No scratchies. Perfect.

Nanny was the same. She could draw beautifully, paint, and the Christmas craft- Oh My Santa.

I'd like to think that I've inherited the crafty gene.

The boys are now finally old enough to really get into being crafty. We've been saving up toilet rolls, plastic trays, yoghurt tubs and googly eyes since they were born, and now is the time to use them.

I said to Andy the other day, "What do you want to do?" And he replied, "Arse and Craft".

I guess there will be lots of craft posts to come, but for now, this is about my

No-Sew-Double Sided-Baby-Floor-Mat-Slash-Blanket 

This idea came from my sister-in-law Belinda, who's friend made my nephew a lovely fringed blanket.

You Will Need

2 complementary lengths of polar fleece (I used 120cm x 120cm)
Sharp scissors
Pins

Method

1) Lay the first piece of fabric right side down and the second piece right side up (so shit bits together)- no, I'm not a sewer.



2) Bang a few pins into all four sides just to keep it together. The polar fleece isn't slippery so if you don't have pins, don't worry about it.


3) Just doing one side at a time snip down about 9cm (3.5 inches) and about 2-3cm (1 inch) apart.



4) Ready, now the tricky bit. Knot each snip in a double knot. Make sure you try to make the underside fabric knot to the top side. So, my blanket has yellow fringe on the blue, and blue on the yellow. Do all four sides. You'll need to snip off a couple of knots on each of the corners to make it work.






5) Once you've completed it, you'll need to stretch the sides. I loved hearing the snap of the fabric. Polar fleece is great because it doesn't fray.




The double polar fleece is great for a floor blanket, giving your little ones the warmth and comfort they need to have some tummy time. It would also look great cot or pram size. Just remember to add an extra 6 inches to the size you need to allow enough for the knots.





2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! How cool is that!!! Arse and crafts is awesome when you have projects like these :) Might have to try this for a new lego blanket in our loungeroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! That's a great idea! You could thread string under the knots and it could become drawstring!

    ReplyDelete