250g pitted dates, coarsely chopped
2 large, over ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (You can leave this out to make it a bit healthier without any detriment- it just wont be as sweet)
60 g butter
1/2 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
1 Tbls golden syrup (or honey or molasses)
1 1/2 cups self raising flour (or 1 1/2 cups of plain flour sifted with 2 tsp baking powder)
1. In a medium, heavy based pot, add dates, bananas, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and butter, and enough boiling water to come half way up the ingredients (about 1 cup)
2. Simmer until mushy and delicious (about 10 mins)
3. Remove from heat, and let cool for 5 mins.
Pre-heat oven to 180degrees Celsius (350F)
4. Add the egg and mix well. Add the bicarb soda and golden syrup.
5. Add the flour and stir until just combined.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Turn half way to get even cooking.
This is a "cakey pudding". You can eat it cold, with a smear of butter, or warm and drizzled with custard. Personally, I prefer to burn my tongue and eat it fresh out of the oven.