Saturday 28 July 2012

Product Review and Recipe- Coles Herbs and Spices


I was lucky enough to be selected for another Coles Home Activity! This time it is to review the new range of herbs and spices. 

In the pack, I got my very own MasterChef apron, after all, “to cook like a MasterChef cooks, shop where a MasterChef shops”. This was excitement enough for me, but the goodies continued with my choice of three free herbs or spices from the Coles range, and a $10 gift card to help with ingredients.


I stood in the aisle for about 15 minutes trying to decide what I combination of herbs and spices to select. 

I was leaning towards a curry mix, garam masala, cumin, tumeric… or perhaps a Christmasy sweet dish, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.


I asked Chris what he would prefer, and he said “Steak” in a grunty reply.

Right-ti-oh smart arse, steak it is.

Smoked Paprika, Garlic Salt and Cracked Black Peppercorns won. The Coles range did have their own steak rub, but I like to customise. 




Blow Your Mind and Your Bum Steak Rub and Pepper Sauce


Steak Rub

Ingredients

1 ½ tsp Coles smoked paprika
1 ½ tsp Coles garlic salt
1 ½ tsp Coles black peppercorns
½ tsp of chilli powder  
2 Tbls whole grain mustard
1 Tbls canola oil
700g rump steak

Method

1)      Combine spices, mustard and oil in a bowl 

 2)      Bash steak with a meat tenderiser
 
 3) Rub steak with Rub 
 4)      Cook steak however you’d like. Apparently the black char bits give you cancer, but the also give you delicious.
5)      Let meat rest and make your sauce. 



Pepper Sauce

Ingredients 

2 Tbls butter
2Tbls plain flour
1 cup beef stock
1 Tbls Coles crushed black peppercorns 










Method

1)      Melt butter in a small pot
2)      Add flour and stir to cook for about a minute
3)      Take off heat and add a small amount of stock. Stir until there are no lumps.
4)      Add the rest of the stock and pepper and return to the heat.
5)      Stir until thick. If it becomes too thick, add more stock.

Sorry about the lack of photos, it was chaos time at our house, and I was flat out making sure it didn't burn.  







 There we go Chris... "Steak"





Now, this meal is spicy. It’s not suitable for kids, but you know what, I don’t care. It’s delicious.




The Coles range of herbs and spices are great. They are in nice jars that are sealed for freshness. They have shaky holes at the top, or you can take the lid off, and dunk your spoon into the jar.

My lovely Ikea spice rack is one of the focal points in my kitchen, but it can only hold 16 jars. The jars from the Coles range of herbs and spices would fit a whopping 28 jars! I will defiantly be buying the range from now on, and keeping the jars to refill.

Like all Coles brand products, they are value for money and good quality.

In the Home Activity Pack, there were discount vouchers for family and friends and here is what some people said after they tried the range.
“I love the quirky jars. The letters on the front help feed my OCD tendencies”


“The flavour was comparative to the more expensive brands. I’ll defiantly be buying Coles from now on.”

“I wish there was a bigger range! I can’t get enough of them!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment