Friday 18 May 2012

Feeding The Hoards

Feeding the kids, hubby and twins is my life. It's the job that I most love to do, even when it is a challenge. I love it when Chris compliments me on sausages and veggies, but doesn't utter a word after eating freshly made egg pasta with chirizo, mushroom and cherry tomato home made pasta sauce. I love that Joey will eat curry, but wont touch a rissole. I love that Andy will say he doesn't like everything, and then eats it all anyway. I love that we don't have to offer the kids dessert to get them to finish dinner.

Family meal time in our house is very routine. We turn the TV off, and all sit down together at the dinner table to enjoy the evening meal. The kids tell us their favourite part of the day (even if we've just had a home day) and it's a time where Chris and I finally get to have a chat about our days. Important information about upcoming events is usually discussed and family gossip is gossiped about. One of the babies is usually crying which leaves one, or both of us only eating with one hand. We've often laughed as Chris cuts up my dinner for me.

I didn't think that I was going to skin to skin breast feed the twins. I was intending on expressing, but have decided to give it a go. Twin breast feeding is hard. That's a fact. Tandem feeding is great, if they choose to eat at the same time, and if you can juggle them both, and if Joey isn't climbing on the chest freezer and jumping up and down, and if the cat isn't vomiting on the carpet and if you're not in public. In other words, most of the time it's almost impossible. Then there are the sleepless nights. Last night for instance, I went to bed at 9pm. Then was up at 11:15pm with Ryan and he was back to bed at 11:45pm. Then, up with Sophie at 12:15am and she was back down at 12:45am. Then they were both up together at 1:30am and back down at 2:30am. Ryan had a pain in the tummy and was back up at 4:30am and that's where my day started because Andy woke up too. So, I had 5 and a half hours of broken sleep and am expected to function normally.

I'm thinking I might try some formula in a bottle today. I'm hoping that perhaps if they take it, I could have one shift off on the weekend. Chris and I did this with Andy and it was a blessing. I don't feel that this is giving up on breast feeding, but I need to look after me too. I'm exhausted and I think my hair is starting to fall out. Seriously.

What can I do with the kids that will keep us all entertained, that isn't stressful, that's going to leave us satisfied that we've spent some quality time together? Cooking.

The kids love it, I love it, and at the end, we get to eat. What more could we want.

Today it's choc-chip cookies. I originally got my recipe from Martha Stewart (whom I love!!!) but I've altered a couple of things. Martha's Recipe


Choc-Chip Cookies.

Ingredients 

 2 1/4 cups plain flour 
1/2 tsp bicarb soda 
1 cup softened butter 
1/2 cup white sugar 
1 cup brown sugar 
1 tsp salt flakes 
2 tsp vanilla bean paste 
2 eggs 
1 1/2 cups of milk choc chips 

Method 

1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2) Mix the butter and sugar using a paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, or about 5 mins. 
3) Reduce speed to low and add eggs, vanilla and chocolate. Beat until combined.
4) Mix in flour, baking soda and choc chips until a dough is formed, but don't over beat. 
5) Make tablespoon sized balls with dough and put on a line cookie tray. Leave about 4 cms between them as they will spread out.
6) Bake cookies until golden around the edges but still soft in the centre. This will take about 8-12 mins. Let cool on the tray for 5 mins and then transfer to a wire rack.

These cookies are soft and chewy and quite flat. Delicious warm with a glass of milk. 


Mine

Martha's

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful it is to read your blog. Im so interested to read your thoughts and feel your emotions on the everyday issues we can all face. Keep up the great writting.

    ReplyDelete